"Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." -Albert Einstein

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Onward!

I have kind of been avoiding writing, if you haven't noticed...not because things aren't good...actually, things are great. Mostly because our beloved dog, Lila, passed away on Christmas Eve and it's been too fresh until now to write about it. But with time, I am less sad and more grateful. I will keep it brief and say this: Lila was truly the most loving, devoted, and spirited little dog I have ever known. I will miss her deeply, but I will always feel her presence here with me. And I am eternally grateful for the amazing care that my mother gave to her in the end of her life. In a time when I wanted to spend every waking moment with her and my life would not let me, my mom did exactly that--she gave her constant love, provided her with all kinds of medical care that allowed her to stick around a bit longer, and even though it was emotionally and physically exhausting, my mom stuck with her until Lila was ready to go. The way she does with all of our animals. So thank you, Mom, from the bottom of my heart. And Lila, I will love you so very much, forever.


My journey now for this coming year is to move steadily onward. I have lots to look forward to this year and that will be my focus. We ended the year in East Glacier where, like here, there is a strikingly miniscule amount of snow. But where snow was lacking, family made up for it. In true Sherburne style, there were 18 of us in all...and we spent every dinner together (which means at least four hours of wining, dining and chatting), and a lot of our days together as well. It was relaxing, beautiful, and just lovely altogether. I've missed that place deeply--truly, in a way I've never missed a place--it made its way into my heart the first year I moved there and has not budged since then.

Eiger, Ebie, and Baxter, happy, happy, happy!
Some of the Sherburne clan on a nice walk towards Two Medicine.
Ryan's amazing grandma, Doris, 92 years old, and two of her sons--such a sweet photo:)
Skiing with the fam at Essex.
Since we returned home, it's truly been like spring here in Lolo and Missoula. The weather is weird, to say the least, but I think it's safe to say that despite the lack of snow, the sunshine has been pretty marvelous for everyone who lives in this valley that is usually dark, heavy, and icy by this time of year. Walks on the river have revealed all kinds of amazing bird life--winter feeding flocks including Pileated woodpeckers, red-naped sapsuckers, black-capped chickadees, red-breasted nuthatches, and pygmy nuthatches. One day Ryan, Eiger, and I had a bald eagle circling us for literally four or five minutes, as if it was considering one of us as prey (but I'd rather think it was just a good omen). The next day I had a red-tailed hawk circling above me and calling for a good two or three minutes. Spectacular. The paler winter golden finches have been gathering at our finch sock to feed, and flocks of black-capped chickadees have been stopping briefly at the bare tree in front of our deck. Unfortunately I have continuously forgotten my camera in these moments, but sometimes the mind is the best place to hold a beautiful sight, so I'm content with it (though I'll try to bring my camera next time so I can share these beautiful sights with you all!).

On another note, my New Year's Resolution this year is to explore my creativity with a fearless curiosity for expression. I happened upon this "30 Day Photography Challenge," which Ryan and I have turned into a kind of contest, and I'm having fun with it so far. Check it out! Onward! And Happy New Year to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment